Congressman Doug LaMalfa, CA-01

It’s been said countless times before, but it’s worth repeating that our nation’s veterans deserve the best possible care we can offer them. Whether it’s improving access to health care options or simply requiring the VA to properly notify veterans of potential scams, it is our responsibility to make their lives easier any way that we can. Below are some of the services my staff and I may provide you, and all veterans here in the First District of California.


Comments /Opinions

As your representative in Congress, I am interested in your opinions on federal issues and legislation.  You may email me directly from my website at

You can also call, mail, or fax a letter to any of the district offices or Washington, D.C., office.  The addresses and phone numbers are listed on the homepage.


Access to Your Federal Government

For information on federal agencies and programs, public laws and

regulations, proposed legislation, and how the government works, please contact our offices in Washington D.C. or visit our websites.


U.S. Flags

As a service to our constituents, U.S. flags can be purchased from our Washington D.C. office.  The flags can be flown over the U.S. Capitol for special occasions.  Each flag is accompanied by a certificate indicating when, for whom, and the occasion the flag was flown. You may you’re your make request through the website.



Receive timely updates about what is happening in Washington, D.C. To sign up, visit the webpage listed above. 


U.S. Service Academy Nominations                                

We have the privilege of nominating California’s best and brightest young men and women to our nation’s service academies.  High School students interested in attending the U.S. Military Academy (West Point), the U.S. Naval Academy (Annapolis), the U.S. Air Force Academy, or the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy should visit my website for an application and instructions.


Visiting Washington, D.C.

Our Washington, D.C., offices have access to a limited number of tickets for tours of the White House, Library of Congress, U.S. Capitol, Supreme Court, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, the Kennedy Center, National Archives and the Pentagon.  If you are planning on visiting D.C., please contact the D.C. office and we will be glad to assist with your congressional tours.



Casework refers to the assistance we can provide to an individual experiencing a problem with a federal program, rule, regulation, or administrative decision.  As members of Congress, we have the ability to address your concerns with the agency in question.  While we cannot promise the outcome will change your situation, we will ask the agency to give your problem “full and fair consideration consistent with applicable law and regulations.” 


*Please keep in mind that members of Congress, because of the separation of powers, do not have jurisdiction over legal issues such as unfair treatment by the legal system, dissatisfaction with attorney or public defender or verdict rendered in a case.



Examples of Veterans Casework Issues


Department of Defense: Health and welfare reports – Discharges and reassignments – Emergency leave – Request for medals – Copies of military service records - Tricare


Department of Veterans Affairs: Service connection claims – Medical care – Veterans Choice – Pensions – Home loans – Life insurance – Education benefits – Burial benefits – Headstones


Defense Finance and Accounting Service: Retirement pay issues – Pay records


National Personnel Records Center: Copies of military records – Emergency DD214 request for funerals


Social Security Administration: Denied disability claims Over payments


Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Part A and B Medicare claims


Department of Housing and Urban Development: Low-income housing assistance – FHA loans


Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: Complaints about bank accounts or service – Credit cards – Credit reporting – Mortgages – Student loans – Vehicle or consumer loans


Internal Revenue Service: Delayed refund – Collections - Payment plans – Identity theft


Department of Education: Defaulted or delinquent student loans


Or any other type of problem a veteran may experience while dealing with a federal government agency.